Monday, November 19, 2007

I'm in love all over again!!

Okay, there is no doubt that I am in love with my locks however, today I fell in love with my locks on a whole other level. Yesterday I got my hair retightened and right after I went and looked in the mirror was amazed. I never knew that I could love my hair so much. It's sooooo soft. LOL!! I never thought I would ever be able to describe my hair as soft. Never Eva!

I'm curious to know why people decided to lock their hair. I decided to lock my hair mainly as a resistance to the Eurocentric beauty standard. When I was wearing all the hair weaves and perming my hair every month I was really trying to conform to the beauty standard. I thought it was time to live natural and love myself. I would love to hear why others decided.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanted to comment on how beautiful your babies look and thought I would give the locking question a go. I think locking for me was more of a progression than anything. I never thought I would ever lock but I'd already been natural for four years and after the novelty wore off I got tired of untwisting and retwisting my hair for my preferred style of choice. I also didn't particularly care for all the extra planning and forethought with regard to exercise etc. that went into wearing my hair loose either. Locking then seemed like the obvious choice.

Ms Stella said...

Hi, your locks look beautiful. I'm glad your experience with your new loctician is so positive. My retightenings only take 1.5 to 2 hours so my wallet and back-side really are happy(lol).

I decided to lock for reasons similar to tamara bella. I wore my hair natural for several years and although I loved it, my thick hair took so long to wash, comb out and style and I ended up wearing braid extensions and hair pieces a lot out of convenience. I wanted to stop wearing other folks hair but still have the flexibility to "style" my hair so Sisterlocks was the perfect solution for me.

Mzcka said...

Hey lady, I've never visited your blog before. Congrats on your SL's you are wearing em girl. Even though there short...they look really nice on you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you do manage to fall in love however, I never planned on locking my hair; it just kinda happened. Ironically, my sister locked hers first and once I saw how happy she was even though it was extremely short, I wanted to try it as well.
I had damaged my hair as she had too and I was tired of pretending I had long hair, trying to match styles and colors so it wasn't too drastic a change.
It was very scary for me though because no one has seen my real length so I waited until a planned surgery where I knew I would be out for 6 weeks, got it done beforehand and wore my usual wig until the day of surgery. I haven't gone back ever since.
Now that it's growing, I look forward to my tightenings so I can take new sets of pictures and monitor the progress. It is also sooooo much easier to work out, not worrying about my hair. I'm saving money and becoming more fit :-)
Good luck to you!

Kimani's Knapps said...

I am so with you...

Peace and Blessings,

Kimani